April 2017 Membership Meeting
The April Membership meeting was held at The Carriage House. Committee reports were given.
- Health & Welfare:
- Kevin Conery said right now there is a 10 month reserve, last year at this time there was a 22 month reserve.
- $3.5 million was generated last year with over 1,800,000 hours for 2016.
- They are also putting together insurance savings within the raise and a portion of the raise would go into it.
- David Niezgodski attended the Rebuilding Together event on April 8. There were 16 projects, some of which were veteran housing. He believes it was a successful event.
- Tyler Frame said they interviewed approximately 80 people over 2 ½ days, which was a number worked down from 130 because of the WorkKeys. There are 20-25 Building Trades and 5 HVAC/Service. He added there were well qualified candidates on both sides. Mark McKnight added it was a more impressive group than they have seen in a while.
David Niezgodski presented Kevin Conery with the Past President’s Award for his service as President from 2014-2016.
Our guest speaker was David Posey, International Representative, United Association.
- He has a passion for veterans. Bill Hite started the Veterans in Piping (VIP) program.
- We are the only skilled trade that has access to active military bases.
- The VIP program is an 18 week accelerated program, 10 hours a day, 4 days a week.
- The participants can go anywhere in the continental United States. Dave contacts the Business Agent where they want to go to find out if there is work available.
- The International Training Fund completely funds the program.
- There is also a Helmets to Hardhats program, which connects men and women from the Armed Forces to jobs in the building and construction fields.
- Dave has been on UA’s strategic planning committee. There are several areas of focus.
- Contractor/owner/industry relations, a commitment to working together
- Political action programs
- Maintain first class government affairs
- Promote local Union leadership, training for new Business Managers
- Promote strategic planning at state and local levels
- Dave said right now there is a 2 man portability and 4 man portability in Indiana but there is still a lot of discussion on the subject.
ISPTA/MCAI Drug Testing Policy Seminar
The ISPTA/MCAI Drug Testing Policy Committee is hosting a seminar/procedure on Wednesday, May 24th from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (EST) at UA Local 440. The address is 3747 S. High School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46241. Midwest Toxicology personnel will present an overview of each party's responsibilities under the Policy. IU Health personnel will review our Employee Assistance Program as it pertains to the Drug Policy along with additional member benefits. The Committee is asking that all Local Union and Contractor Personnel (privacy officers) involved with the Drug Testing Policy attend. An agenda and RSVP for a lunch count will be sent out one week prior to the seminar.
Michiana Builders Association 24th Annual Awards of Excellence Banquet
The event will recognize the owners, architect/engineers and contractor's outstanding contributions to the award-winning projects of 2016. It will be held at the Gillespie Conference Center in South Bend beginning with a 5:00 p.m. reception and cocktails followed by a dinner at 6:00 p.m. The Keynote Speaker is Mike Golic, NFL Veteran and co-host of the radio and TV show "Mike and Mike in the Morning." Click here for tickets.
June Membership meeting
June's membership meeting will be at Tabor Hill on Wednesday, June 21 at 6:30. Please let Jerilyn know if you plan to attend. Entree choices are Filet Mignon, Pecan-crusted Raspberry Chicken or Grape Leaf Wrapped Salmon.
Upcoming MCAA Conferences
The 2017 MCAA Great Futures Forum will take place September 28-30 at the Downtown Marriott in Indianapolis, Indiana. According to the MCAA, "enjoy two days of exploring the latest technology, sharing industry insights and meeting the brightest young stars in mechanical contracting. Innovation, education and your company's continuation all in one Forum." Learn more on mcaa.org in the coming months.
The 32nd MSCA Connect 2017 will be at the Boca Raton Resort & Club in Boca Raton, Florida, from October 15-18. Click here to visit the conference website.
The UA-MCAA Labor Relations Conference will take place November 14-15 at the Mirage in Las Vegas. According to the National MCAA, "the theme is 'Highlighting Best Practices' which will focus on presenting and sharing information of various successful models currently being utilized throughout the country." Click here for the website.
Free PHCC Webinars
A webinar for PHCC members will be available on May 17 from 3:00-4:00 p.m. The topic is how to Successfully Manage Your Review Presence Online: Establishing a Process to Encourage Good Reviews. The speaker is Peter Troast, Energy Circle Founder and CEO. According to the National PHCC, Peter "will discuss how to successfully manage your review presence online: establish a process, encourage good reviews and mitigate negative ones. He’ll also cover the tools you’ll need to do this." Click here to register.
Save the Dates
The MCA of Indiana Convention will be held June 16-18, 2017 at the French Lick Springs Hotel in French Lick, IN. According to John Rayburn, "this year's convention promises to be educational and entertaining. In addition to the annual business meeting, golf outing, and visit to the French Lick Winery, convention highlights include entertainment by comedian Andy Gross, educational program by Michael Abrashoff, author of It's Your Ship, and dinner at the Stables Pavilion."
United Association Industry Day will be on August 16, 2017 at the Washtenaw Community College in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is designed to show the world class training that the UA provides its workforce.
The Indiana PHCC Convention will be September 14-15, 2017 at the French Lick Resort in French Lick, IN. According to Brenda Dant, "the event features an opening cocktail reception and annual meeting on Thursday with Friday featuring technical seminars, keynote speaker, contractor owner sessions and closes with a President's party and auction. This year focuses on 'Workforce Development.'"
Back to the top | Previous page | Home